Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Fill Me Up by Andrea



It seems
You took up most of the space in my heart
At times and
Throughout my life
And it seems you still do
You're filling me up
Just not like you used to
Now with longing

At times
My chest feels as though someone
is squeezing it into a too-small space
When I least expect it
In the parking lot before an early morning meeting
Eyes filling and flooding
a flow I cannot stop
Standing over a sink of suds and dinner dishes
Driving along the road
There it is the void opening again
Filling me up with emptiness
Grasping at memories of what used to be
you, actually you

I hear your voice inside my head and
am not soothed as all the times before
I smile and remember but
there is no end to the hollow sound bouncing around my ear 
as I hold the phone with no
“Hey! That’s my baby!”
filling in the space across the distance

Heaven is only a few heartbeats away
Right?
Closer than the Carolinas
So why can’t I call?

My mind is still full of questions
About you, about life, about me
I need to know all the things you knew
There are so many things I need to tell you
So much more I know you wanted to say

I need you, lady,
to pour into the empty spaces
to fill them to overflowing
With you
With all of you

I thought you knew
You were how I knew who I was
And if you are not here filling me up
How will I know
Who I will be

 -Andrea

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! You have captured perfectly the love and longing I feel for my mother and my grandmother. What a beautiful heart cry!

    ReplyDelete