Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Speak Life by Andrea




The words we speak (or type) have power.  There have been volumes enough to fill the world’s bookshelves regarding how much our words matter. Do a simple Google search, and you’ll be enlightened.  What we think, say, and even post matters for us individually- how we perceive ourselves, the realities we create for ourselves physically, relationally, psychologically.  The language we use reflects the ways in which we think about other people, too!  How often though do we stop to reflect on proverbs like this one. 

Do we believe that our words hold the power of life and death?
I think if we did, we would be far more careful.  We would more readily heed the advice to think before we speak.  In recent years, many teachers have posted in their classrooms colorful posters with a series of questions to help students think about the words they might say.


This is such a simple yet powerful way to put our words to the test.  We teach our students that if they can answer yes to every question, then the words they plan to speak will more than likely be worth sharing.  If they get even one no, then they need to keep their comments to themselves.  

This is not easy. I will be the first to admit it.  But it is absolutely necessary in EVERY SINGLE interaction we have with other human beings.  I dare anyone to name an instance where this would not hold up.  Even when we have to say hard things, like confronting someone on bad behavior, each of these statements can be true.  It is an act of love (i.e., kindness in action) to confront each other for our good, to educate and to influence one another to be better versions of ourselves.  Each of us has the “right” to refuse help, but offering it is still true and necessary.  It inspires those around us to stand up for others and ourselves.  It takes practice, wisdom and self-control to know when to speak and when to refrain.  It is not easy, but it is absolutely necessary if we are to be high-functioning and ever-evolving.

Words have literally destroyed individuals, communities and nations.  And words have literally created something from nothing, started movements which changed the course of history.  
Before posting, commenting and even accepting a thought running through our heads, I implore us all to ask ourselves if the words we are about to roll out onto the world will lift up or tear down? I am always reminding myself that what I say will make a mark, so I ask myself “What kind of mark do you want to leave?” I strive to be a person who speaks good things over and about others and myself.  I miss the mark too often, but I never change the goal.  Even when there are egregious events happening in the world-at- large or closer to home that I feel compelled to comment on, I try to force myself to quickly reflect on the THINK questions above.  I try to run my words through a test of time by asking if my words will add value to someone else’s thoughts and life today and always.  Is what I am saying going to bring people together or divide them?  Will it bring out the best in someone else?  Will it help me to connect to others or will it alienate them without cause?  I cannot control other people’s response to what I say, but I can be intentional and thoughtful about the words I speak.  I believe we ALL have a responsibility to be careful, that is, full of care about the words we say.  Care for ourselves and care for our hearers. 

It is not easy, but it is also not impossible.  Our words do matter.  They create our realities.  Speak not for the world we have, but for the one we want.  Speak life.

3 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me of this quote from the Bahá'í Writings: "For the tongue is a smoldering fire, and excess of speech a deadly poison. Material fire consumeth the body, whereas the fire of the tongue devoureth both heart and soul. The force of the former lasteth but for a time, whilst the effects of the latter endureth a century."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Devoureth both heart and soul... how arresting both of these truths are. I am committed to being more and more careful with my words- especially in apologizing quickly when they do not reflect care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great reminder, Andrea. It takes constant diligence to speak words that edify others, not words that aggrandize ourselves.

    ReplyDelete