Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Twelve Blog Posts of Andrea (#4)


mind-ful-ness


How many of you hear the word mindfulness then check out?  I used to.  The word conjured up images of people with a whole lot more self-control and a longer attention span than I could ever muster.  Just hearing the word made me tired. My shoulders would slump a little because deep down mindfulness seemed like one more thing I could try that would be good for me but impossible to maintain. Imagining failure before you even start can have a what’s-the-point effect on you. Despite the rave reviews, personal testimonies and millennia of evidence touting the benefits of practicing mindfulness, I did not think it was something I could start and sustain. I bet after reading that you’re now thinking about the thoughts you’ve had about mindfulness, what the term calls to mind for you, how it makes you feel.  Guess what!  That’s mindfulness.  


  1. the quality or state of being conscious or aware of something.

  2. a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.


That little graphic above helped me to think of mindfulness in its most basic terms. Thinking about it as being present with my body helped me to determine what this quality or state looks like in my day-to-day and has allowed me to craft and adopt practices which work for ME. I spend time each day simply sitting in silence and solitude.  I daydream. I let my mind wander then try to recall what thoughts came floating by.  I breathe, and pay attention to what I am feeling in key parts of my body. I sip coffee and pay attention to the smell and taste. I stretch. I close my eyes and listen to the space I am in.  I do one thing at a time. I actively slow down and tell myself to do so, over and over, until I am fully aware and engaged in whatever it is I am doing- watering my plants, washing dishes, eating, praying. And the benefits of these practices and others are more calm, more control, more clarity. I have been experiencing a stronger mind-body-heart-soul connection.  This translates into greater connection to God, myself and others. Being more mindful means I can better love all three.  I cannot explain the difference, but I can surely feel the difference. 


Mindfulness is simply living your life wide awake, at a pace that allows you to experience it fully, even the most mundane parts.  If your interest has been piqued, spend a few moments thinking of how mindfulness might look in your life, what ways of practicing it would feel natural to you, and where can you start small today.   


No comments:

Post a Comment