Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2018

My Reading List by Andrea


I think we may have started a new year tradition here at Writing Four Lives of publishing our personal reading list. Here is my offering:

Three Out of Thirty-Six
I set my reading goal for 2017 at 36 books. I surpassed that goal by finishing thirty-nine. Of those, the following three rose to the top of the list.

The Power of Habit:  Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg      The author explains the cutting edge scientific research and understanding of habits- why they exist and how we can change them to change our lives for the better.  This text is well-researched, well-written yet practical and grounded in the lives of real people and organizations.  Change your mind, change your life.  This book can help you to do just that!                                 

Heart and Soul:  the Story of America and African Americans  by Kadir Nelson                  
Though it was published in 2011, and I am one of author-illustrators biggest fans, I had not heard of this book.  Thank you, Amazon Prime, for two day delivery! This is not a book to borrow from the library.  Every American home should have it in their collection.  Kadir Nelson condensed 400+ years of history into just over 100 pages in this survey of African-Americans in the history of America- a major part of the American story too oft neglected in mainstream history books.  The paintings alone are reason enough to own this text.
         
Covenant Marriage:  Building Communication and Intimacy by Gary Chapman         
For most of our marriage, my husband and I have been committed to reading and rereading marriage books which have helped us to dig deeper and strength our commitment and communication.  Within the first chapter of this gem we knew this would be a text we come back to year after year for a long time to come.  The book possesses all of the practical, easy to read and follow advice of any good marriage book.  What sets it apart is its emphasis on understanding God's relationship with us and how clearly principles for marital growth and covenant fulfillment are laid out in the Bible.  Applying these principles first brings the faithful closer to God then to one's spouse.

From Start to Finish- Books I started last year or plan to reread

An absolute must for educators.
An expert in the field!
The Brain Fog Fix by Dr. Mike Dow (read this is you read nothing else in 2018!)

The Element of Style by William Strunk and E.B White

The Story: The Bible as One Continuous Story






Twenty-Six in Twenty Eighteen
My target this year features fewer books, however, I want to challenge myself to read more wildly.  So here are three texts way outside of my usual reading diet that I will give a go:
Democracy by Joan Didion (Political Fiction)
It's an oldie but, apparently, a goodie.  I admire Joan Didion's writing style, and she is an essayist at heart so this may not be much of a stretch.     
                                                            
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman (Fantasy)
This author is described as a master storyteller, and this his latest book an instant classic.  I am expecting big things.

The Ghostwriter by Alessandra Torre (Mystery)
Reviewers on Goodreads write that it is impossible to predict all of the twists and turns in this suspenseful novel.  If the reviews hold true for a novice mystery reader such as myself, my mind may be opened to a new favorite genre.

I have heard it said, "You can't buy happiness, but you can buy books."

Wish me luck, and may 2018 bring you pages of happiness!

Andrea


No comments:

Post a Comment