Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2018

My Reading Year by Esmeralda

My Reading Year

I am going on a quest this year.  I am on a quest to read a book a month this 2018 year.  I know it doesn’t sound like a lot, but with my family’s schedule trust me when I say even a book a month is quite a challenge.  I am making some deliberate changes to help me in my quest.  Among them are such things like reading before bed instead of watching tv for longer than I care to admit, taking a book with me everywhere I go, and having a list of books I would like to read.  Here are just a few that are on my list:

 The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
A story about two sisters during World War II struggling to survive and resist German occupation.  

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
This book is a memoir turned into a movie.  I have yet to see the movie, but want to read the book first. It is a story about dysfunction and affection.  A story about her family and how she overcame the hardships thrown her way. 

We Are Going to Need More Wine by Gabrielle Union
Essays by the actress on love, step-parenting and living beyond personal tragedy.

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Rosenthal
I received a gift for Christmas from a dear friend, entitled Encyclopedia of Me.  It’s essentially a journal about myself with topics ranging from A to Z.  The idea came from the book Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life.  It has short entries organized form A to Z capturing moments, observations and emotions about her life.  

Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal by Amy Rosenthal
Another book by this talented author, this time using an unorthodox format to explore life’s lessons.  It’s a collection of funny and wise observations about her life and the world around her.

Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors.  I have read every one of her books, each one leaving a little piece of something good with me.  Keeping the Moon is a young adult novel about Colie who is sent to spend the summer with her aunt Mira.  She goes with her eccentric aunt, not leaving much behind in the form of friends, so she doesn’t expect to make any in Colby, North Carolina.  I’m sure she will be surprised to find she might make some lasting relationships after all. 


Wild Embers by Nikita Gill
Poetry! Wild Embers is a collection of powerful, uplifting poems.  Speaking to the warrior within, the collection is full of empowerment and personal growth.


I keep adding books to my list every day.  Who says I can’t read more that one a month right?  At least this list will get me to July.  What are some of your favorite titles?  What are your suggestions for the second half of the year?

1 comment:

  1. Great list! I have Glass Castle and both Amy Krause Rosenthal books. You are welcome to borrow them.
    Also, you and Sophia need Dear Girl by the late Amy Krause Rosenthal and her daughter Paris Rosenthal. It is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete